Sunday, March 30, 2014

Red Lace

I'm working on my old unfinished sewing projects once again, this time finishing the sarong-style skirt, which just needed hemming.  First thing, I looked through my odds and ends to see if I had any red hem binding. Nope. Everything else but red. Well, I had a bag of my mom's sewing things that I'd brought home from the big garage sale we had. Maybe in there.

I couldn't have been more surprised. Not only did I find red seam binding, I found a length of really nice red lace. My mom? Red lace? I remember at one time she was into making lingerie - slips and things like that. But I certainly couldn't imagine she'd have made a bright red slip. It just didn't seem like my mom.


Well, moms are women too, and how much do you really know about your mom, personally? Not so much apparently. Woo-hoo! Mom!

I read that Jackie Kennedy had all the linings in her dresses made with lace at the bottom, like a slip. If it's good enough for Jackie, it's good enough for me!







Lace made a lovely hem binding for my skirt. Here's the hem, and now the skirt is all done. It's possible I might wear it after all, rather than give it away. It's really pretty fabulous.

On to the next thing, which is both a wearable "reward" for having finished another old project and an unfinished project in itself. I only started it about 4 months ago, so it doesn't really qualify as an Ancient. It's a white linen skirt, lined. I haven't been sure whether I will really like a white skirt, but I've decided to make a black and white lace overskirt/apron thingy to go over it and now I know I'll like it. Maybe I'm into lace all of a sudden!


No comments: