Thursday, April 17, 2014

My ankle is back!

This is a long process. But it hasn't been as long as it might be, thanks to an innovative surgeon and good bones.  The surgeon, who had performed more than 3000 of these same surgeries, said to me after mine, "for your age, you have very good bones." I am grateful.

Yesterday I graduated from cast to boot, 6 weeks into it. Yay! More freedom...showers can be taken without protective plastic, sometimes my leg and my foot can get fresh air.  OMG.

When I looked at my leg - 6 weeks under plaster and plastic - it was flaking skin in sheets. So dry. I washed it with zinc soap, good for bacteria, and soaked it in heavy-duty moisturizer and then coconut oil and let it absorb. More skin flaked off and I rubbed it with towels and more coconut oil before reapplying the orthopedic sock and the boot. Oh what luxury for my poor skin!

They said "wear the boot for two or three weeks, then try to fit into a shoe." Wow. That means in about two weeks I can wear a shoe. And walk in it. And then maybe I can drive (this is my right foot, so no driving until it is well).

Today I went to my beloved yoga instructor Domonick for a private lesson.  "Tell me what I can do to strengthen this leg and to maintain flexibility and heal." He created a wonderful program for me to follow for the next month or two until I can resume a regular practice.  Stretch. Strengthen. Be peaceful. Breath. Stretch. Strengthen. Heal. Thank you, and bless you, Domonick. Bless you, my leg.

Short story, I'm doing well, thank you. Tomorrow night we're going out to a club, but I might not dance yet.

No comments: