Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Best Cosmo

My, my, my, what a busy time it is! Not only are Wayne and I whirling around buying, making, and wrapping presents for family and friends, but the holiday party scene is really heating up too. By now you know I'm a bartender for parties and events at the fabulous Claremont Resort and Spa in the Berkeley/Oakland hills, and they're really keeping me busy this year!

I always enjoy helping people have a good time! Of course, bartending for holiday parties in the hotel is a lot different from bartending poolside in the summer, which I've written about before. For one thing, the drinks people want are different. Not a single customer I've had during the holidays has asked for a Bloody Mary at 10:00 p.m., and who would think of a Pina Colada when it's cold outside and you're wearing velvet and lace?

So what's the most popular drink at my holiday party bars? I have to say it's the Cosmopolitan, otherwise known as the Cosmo. It's a pretty drink, and festive, and, yes, it's pink, but guys order it too. Here's how you can make one, or two or three, at home:

The Best Cosmo

Put a scoop of ice into a cocktail shaker*. Add 1 oz. vodka, 1 oz. sweet and sour, 1/2 oz. Cointreau, and 2 oz. cranberry juice.

Shake vigorously.

Strain into a martini glass, or if you wish into a champagne flute.

Garnish with a lime wedge on the rim.

*No cocktail shaker? No problem. Just serve this drink over ice in a pretty clear glass, short or tall. Stir well before sipping. It's just as delicious!

Sip and enjoy!

No comments: