Thursday, September 11, 2008

Waikiki Beach, Oahu


The Beach at Waikiki
Dana Hill

A steady stream flowed off the nose of the statue of Duke Kahanamoku, father of modern surfing. It formed a pool at his feet and finally escaped in little rivulets running swiftly out onto the white sand, searching, searching to be reunited with the vast gray ocean.

It was raining on Waikiki Beach.

This was Wayne’s first trip to Hawaii, a favorite place of mine. I love the feel and smell of the air when you get off the plane in Honolulu, the heavy sweet scent of flowers wafting through the airport, open to warm ocean breezes and the sounds of waves breaking. I feel the air in my soul here, and I relax. I had eagerly planned this trip to share this aloha, this warm feeling, with my boyfriend Wayne.

It had been raining since the night before, when we arrived. “This is an unusually hard rain for Honolulu,” I commented in the taxi from the airport. “I’m really looking forward to hot beach weather tomorrow. Rain only lasts a few hours here, don’t worry. The sun is inevitable!”

Now it was morning and it was still raining. In the many times I’d been in Honolulu over the years, I couldn’t recall ever seeing rain in the morning. It was not beach weather. Kalakaua Avenue, the main street along the beach, was a sea of umbrellas. Surely by this afternoon the sun would return and we would go to the beach.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks good, Dana! I can't wait for your posts from 2008.