Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I learned something new today

I'm always amazed when I learn things (finally) that are so basic, it's hard to imagine why I didn't learn them before. There's the problem with the duvet on our bed always slipping off toward the foot end of the bed. And the problem of the duvet itself moving around within the duvet cover, so that it eventually all wants to bunch up at the foot end of the bed, with no duvet up by your neck where you need it. Gravity, no doubt, and also why the whole thing tends to slip off the bed.

Even worse, Wayne and I are always tugging the duvet up because we're cold, so not only do we wake up several times a night to do this, but every morning I have to re-make the bed from scratch because it's all torn up. Annoying.

Some time ago, I read of an easy way to get the duvet cover on and I said to myself, "AHA! The next time I change the duvet cover, I'm going to do this."  It was a simple thing, just reach in to the far corners and more-or-less turn the cover inside out. Then grasp the corners of the duvet and cover together, or tie the duvet in, and let the cover turn itself right side out over the duvet as you shake it a bit, holding on to those corners.

The words "tie the duvet in" stuck with me as a possible solution to the Other Problem, the one of slippage. Today I changed the duvet cover and resolved to sew ties in the inside corners of the clean cover and onto the corners of the duvet and "tie them in". I cut some cotton tape for ties. When I reached in to get the corners of the clean cover and turn it inside out, I felt ties. Hmmmph. Well, I'll be darned. Then I looked at the duvet itself, and there on all four corners were little tabs, exactly what you'd want to attach those ties to. I've had this duvet for at least ten years, and they'd been there all the time.

I felt pretty stupid, but also pretty excited. All problems solved. And when I got the original duvet cover out of the dryer, I checked it out. It too had ties. I learned something new today!