Friday, March 20, 2015

Simple pleasures

Even though we haven't had much of a winter (i.e. decent rain only in December), the signs of spring are everywhere. All this week, we've responded by tackling the back yard and gardens - a big job we've put off for a couple of years, so by now it's really a project.

In the middle of all the work, which I have to admit is also fun, I realized this morning that I was especially enjoying two simple pleasures. The first has nothing to do with the yard, it's a set of towels I bought a week ago. I just love them because they match my bathroom walls (a light pink) as well as the tiles (gray). It gives me such pleasure to see them, I'm not sure I'll be able to take them down to wash them! Just kidding.

My little herb garden also gives me great pleasure to look at. Of course that is part of the backyard project. I've finally trimmed the huge rosemary bush back so the other herbies can get some sun, and refreshed the soil with compost and chicken manure. Yesterday I planted a variegated sage to fill in the elderly sage plants I already have and use, and I planted a chamomile, which I love for tea. I also have a lemon verbena in the garden, whose leaves make wonderful tea. And an epazote, which is a common Mexican plant used with beans to aid digestion and minimize gas. We love beans, so it's real useful!

You can see I still have some space in the herb garden, and I'm contemplating. What should I plant - more thyme? Another parsley? I have parsley in the brick planter, as well as tarragon, so maybe I'll try something new. Don't know yet.

The herb garden needs a new fence, or perhaps needs no fence at all. That fence is on the list. Lots to do!

No comments: