Sunday, November 9, 2014

Runup to Christmas: Holiday sewing projects!

I'm so excited that I got an early start on Christmas projects this year! Don't you love hand-made gifts? After years of buying and gifting things I'm never sure my loved ones want, I've finally determined the things they want most are gifts I make myself. So fun, but best if you plan ahead. Let me tell you, staying up till after midnight sewing and crafting for the entire week before the Big Day takes some of the sparkle out of the accomplishment. I know; I've done it. Whew!

So this year I got started in October. I can hardly believe it. Here's what I'm making, with enough mystery that the recipients might not immediately recognize their gift in advance, should they read this post :-)

  • One set of all cotton king-size pillowcases (COMPLETED and boxed for gifting)
  • A winter dress in the style and fabric of the period for a loved one who volunteers at an early-20th century home (cut out, marked, and ready to sew)
  • A tablecloth for a 10-foot picnic table (just try finding a narrow 10+-foot tablecloth in the store!)
  • Cushions for some very sweet patio chairs
  • If there is time, two, maybe three, adorable small purses from this Martha article
King pillowcases
I've got my work cut out for me, no?! I'll keep you posted on my progress. Here's a photo of the already-finished (yay!!!) pillowcases:

And another of the 5 yards of cotton corduroy (these 1900-ish ladies used A LOT of fabric in their skirts!) for the winter dress, which I now have all cut out and marked - ready to start sewing today. Speaking of history, did you know corduroy has been around in one form or another as a clothing fabric since the time of the ancient Egyptians? It was called "fustian" for most of its history until the 18th century when it was re-named "cord du roi" or "cloth of the king", probably a marketing ploy. And corduroy hasn't changed much since then, except today we sometimes add a little stretch to it.

Sage green cotton corduroy




Making progress! Let the Holiday season begin!

2 comments:

Babs said...

I'm envious that you can go to a fabric store, buy fabric and sew.

The fabric in Mexico is abysmal, to put it mildly. I've spent days just looking for plain cotton navy fabric to make a curtain for in front of a sink! My kingdom for JoAnne's Hancocks or the many stores in Houston! ha. Enjoy your projects. I now just bake and give gifts of homemade goodies........

Dana Hill said...

Dear Babs, home made baked and cooked stuff is equal in every way! Hey, would it be hard for me to get fabric here and send it to you? Plain cotton navy is everywhere - let me know, I'll do it!