Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Absence, and permission

I've been absent for a couple of weeks. I gave myself permission to take a small vacation from writing. This is not to say I don't love writing my blog, because I do.

Absence is good for the soul, and, on occasion, makes the heart grow fonder. So they say.

I've been working like a fiend, which is so not like me. I'm working at my retirement job, bartending for a fancy resort near where I live. I absolutely love doing it. There's that. And I don't really want to work full time, which they try to accommodate because they appreciate me. How wonderful is that?! All said, the opportunity came up a couple of months ago to work at the bar next to the hotel swimming pool, which is part of the membership Club and is a very cool place. I have to wo-man the bar Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Not a problem, right?

Well, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is really 10:00a.m. until 7:30 or so p.m., given bar setup and take-down and paperwork, etc. Whew, that's a long day. It's 9+ hours on your feet and by the time I'm done, I'm not good for much else. Then I go home and Wayne, who has been on his own all day (and all weekend) would like some attention and maybe dinner. That's where I've been, and then recuperating Monday through Thursday.

These sound like excuses and, truly, they are. I took a break and now I'm back. My gig at the pool bar has been so much fun that I feel it needs to be celebrated. I get to be creative - special drinks, increasing sales, making the whole experience fun - and get rewarded (great tips, great sales figures, pats on the back) on top of it.

Here are a couple of the cool special drinks my co-bartender Rolando and I came up with. Perhaps they'll help you make the transition from summer to fall!

Cucumber-Mint Martini

Cut a fat slice of cucumber into quarters and muddle it with several mint leaves and a squirt of sweet and sour mix in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and 2 oz. of vodka (we use Tito's). Shake, shake, shake, until the shaker feels really cold. Then strain into an ice-filled glass (or plastic, as we use around the pool) and garnish with a slice of . . . you guessed it, cucumber!!!

The Norma

Fill a glass (or plastic cup) with ice. Pour in 2 oz. of Patron Silver tequila. Fill the glass with Fevertree ginger beer. Stir well, garnish with a slice of lime, and serve with a long straw.

No comments: