Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Birdland Jazzista Social Club

This must be the season to discover new things. I can't believe I've never heard of this before. What a great concept! So this guy in Berkeley started making food for his friends in his driveway and it turned into an "every-Friday-night" kind of party where neighbors and friends got together and drank and talked until the wee hours. Then one of his friends was in a little band, so they cleaned out the garage and set up a light and the little band played for the Friday night party. And then they decided they needed a stage and pretty soon they were booking bands. I mean, wow!

Wasn't long before the authorities moved them off the sidewalk, of course, and out of the street so now they're a social club with membership but still a laid-back neighborhood attitude and, so far as I can tell, free food. I can't wait to check it out myself...The Birdland Jazzista Social Club.

I learned about it from a musician I know who is going to play there...Nicolas Bearde. He's really good and has played with Bobby McFerrin and at Yoshi's and lots of places here and there. Very cool deal.

No comments: