Monday, December 2, 2013

Turkey stock

I made 3 quarts of turkey stock tonight. The turkey has bit the dust for this year. It was a really good one - thank you, Turkey!

Here's what I did:
  • Cut most of the meat off the turkey and put it in the fridge (...I'm so over turkey - happens every year)
  • Chopped the carcass into 3 or 4 pieces
  • Put it all in a big pot with a cut up red onion and 4 cut up carrots.
  • Added 3 quarts water and some bay leaf and thyme.
  • Brought it to a simmer.  Simmer is important - no boiling!
  • Simmered for two hours. Looked for scum, but for some reason this turkey didn't produce any. Would have skimmed it off if I'd seen it.
  • After two hours I turned off the stove and let it cool down while we ate dinner (not turkey - we had corn chowder and salad).
  • Strained it all through the big strainer into two large bowls. It smells good!
  • Will let sit overnight to cool, and will remove fat, if there is any. Then I'll spoon it into quart freezer bags, label, and freeze.

I'll use it just like I'd use chicken stock - for soup, or beans, or risotto.

In fact, tonight I asked myself - why don't I make my own chicken stock instead of buying it? It's not hard. And who even knows what commercial chicken stock is? Maybe I will.

No comments: