Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Donna's potato salad (a recipe)

My friend Donna sent me her recipe for potato salad, and it is fabulous. I have a mixed relationship with potato salad, having grown up in a place where potato salad was a staple, and every picnic and church supper included at least two varieties. Mostly I didn't like any of them. I didn't like my mother's version either.

So I usually say I don't like the stuff at all, but once in a while I'll taste something that appeals. This recipe is one of those "once in a while" deals. I love this potato salad, and have already made it twice. And eaten most of it. . .well, Wayne had some too. Here's the recipe:

  • 4 medium red potatoes, cut in pieces and boiled until soft
  • 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • Mayonnaise to taste (about 3 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown or Dijon mustard
  • Celery salt and black pepper

Let potatoes and eggs cool. Leave skin on potatoes and cut them up in bit size pieces.
Sprinkle the potatoes with vinegar, then sugar. Toss carefully with spoons.
Add chopped eggs.
Add mayonnaise and mustard. Toss carefully to combine.
Sprinkle generously with celery salt and a little pepper.

Mix together, taste for salt, then put in the refrigerator to cool and blend the flavors. Yum!!

No comments: